Monday, July 30, 2007

Random SCQ Photographs:


Second round of the 5 novice class ... closest to us and getting a minor assist from his dad Len is Mikey Cabalterra, Rachel and Lynnea (mom) Rankins are in 4. Looks like Riley Passer down in 3, which leaves Ryan Kemnetz in one. Ryan Duley was the first round qualifier and won the main. Good stuff ... but, seriously ... where are the training wheels ... after all, these are five year olds, right?


Reece Rankins has been killing it all season at Milwaukee ... but, as just about our only 8 intermediate ... he often gets lumped with older (sometimes considerably older) expert riders. He took advantage of learning how to chase those rabits and wound up with a nice second on Saturday.


19-27 Novices doing a considerably better job of keeping it together down the first straight than yours truly. I was about a pedal past that point in 36-40 cruiser and made a big old cloud of dust. If you were one of the unlucky downwind spectators, I apologize about that. From left to right - John San Felippo, John Lehman, Brennon Manske and Shane Mcnallie. Manske took the big win.


Todd Zimmerman with a nice 3rd moto lead in 41-45 cruiser over former pro Brian Woods who returned to racing just about a week ago. Lenny Cabalterra sits in third and Dan Schneider is looking for a way through. Both 41-45 cruiser and 36-40 cruiser had full gates of riders -- super cool.


Mark Kluth is on the gas in the 36-40 3rd round of qualifying motos. Karl Ausdembruch, in SE colors, is looking for a little drafting help.



Watching the 17 - 18 experts is simultaneously inspiring and humbling. They carry so much track speed and are so dialed they often make it look easy. When I grow up, I want to be just like these guys. From the right, Matthew Alden, Michael Gotschika and Kevin Detinger.


Nick Dutcher and Ben Kohls are two members of the very talented CSR / Sinz team. Nick, did ya notice how all that dirt on the first straight packed in?

Ben, I swear ... one of these days ... I'll get you a good jump shot. Considering the windy conditions on Saturday, this one really isn't that bad. Still, it's not a really accurate representation of the altitude this kid normally gets on our first straight.

These two had solid battles going all day. The lead #5 bike is Chase Pauza, sportin' the new Team Rock'N threads (yeah baby, that's definitely ORANGE !!!). Chase won, but had a rear view mirror FULL of Nick Campanelli all day.


Another shot of Pauza that's only here because it's just so darn good. Love the shoulders turned into the corner -- absolutely text book cornering demonstration. You can see Campanelli really railing in the background.


The photos above and below demonstrate my newfound sympathy with BMX parents all around the globe. Now I know why you guys constantly scream "PEDAL" at the top of your lungs and down rolaids like they are candy at the races. Racing my own bike is one thing ... but, I'm finding that watching your kids do their thing is unbelievably nerve wracking in a way I never could have imagined.
In the photo above, Raymond Eckert has things well in control while #340 Sam Cabaltera, #336 David Smith III, Steven Meyer trail. My kid, Dane is so darn far behind that I think he's actually reversing the aging process -- for himself anyway. And, that's the way it went the first two motos ... building himself large deficits. By chance, I remembered to remind him that no matter how his day went, he still had a couple of airplanemodels to help me build when we got home. Who knows why 7 year olds think the way they do, but, that seemed to turn the trick for him. He won his third qualifying moto ... and, then, perhaps trying to build his own legend in a Babe Ruth sorta way, told me he would win the main for me. I reminded him to just have fun. In fact, while the other 7 novice parents were yelling "pedal" ... the corner workers were giving me funny looks because I was hollering at Dane to "Have Fun !!!"
Below is him, leading his main into the third corner with just a sliver of young Raymond Eckert at the extreme right of the frame -- undoubtedly looking for a way past. But, silly Dane made a promise, and he was not to be denied. I've been fortunate enough to have raced BMX for nearly a total of 10 years now ... and I've won a few locals and made a couple of national mains along the way now ... but, nothing compared with the total delight I felt for Dane when he crossed the line in first Saturday.
Next time he races, however, I'll be sure to bring plenty of Rolaids, I'm fairly sure I'll need 'em.

1 comment:

John Wethall said...

Great pics and coverage Kevin! Thanks and keep up the great work!