Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Midwest Old School BMX fans -- This is just AWESOME !!!


John Mittelstadt mentioned last night at our general club meeting that he'd stumbled across this old results sheet while scanning an old school BMX site ... and I was intrigued. The SE Rondo Classic was my very first sanctioned race as a squidly 13 novice in 1981. Nothing quite like jumping head first into the deep end of the pool ... but, hey ... that's BMX !!!



These are the results from the 1982 race. Check the 17x class, in which our very own Brian Woods (who's back side I'd seen more of that I care to admit in 2008) finished 3rd! Woods also finished 4th in 15 and over open -- a class that a super quick Southern Michigan kid by the name of Denny Owens won. (today, I have 3 Traker Denny Owens model frames in my 'old school' collection.)
Other names that are familiar to me in these results are Amedio Gilmore (2nd - 16n) who must have been one of the most sandbaggingest 16 novices in the history of BMX as he went on to become a AA pro just 4 years later !!!
Bryan Dickerson's (41-45 cruiser regular & 36+ expert) older brother Bill swept in with a 2nd in 28 and over cruiser
Finally, my personal childhood bud Todd Patz (who I started racing with way back when in Sheboygan), who went on to become a pretty consistent challenger for WI-01 #1 titles in '83 & '84 won the 14 Novice class (and, if memory serves, this is the race that turned him up to expert!)
Just awesome ... if any of you other old schoolers happen to notice anybody else with local ties that I'm missing, shoot me a note and I'll be happy to add them up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just looking at some old bmx stuff and run across the Milwaukee scene
We sure had fun back in the 80's
Look forward to having a reunion someday. Check out this video to see what we are doing today

http://www.aldagolf.com/video.html

Jack Doherty
Rondo Classic
Midwest BMX