The Bicycle Federation of WI is looking for BIKE/WALK Instructors BIKE/WALK Instructors work as seasonal assistant instructors with the Safe Routes to School program. The goal of Safe Routes to School is to increase the number and safety of children walking and biking to school. During the school year (spring and fall), BIKE/WALK Instructors will work with elementary schools to educate and encourage the children to bike and walk to school. During the summer, the program focuses on bicycling around their neighborhoods and BIKE/WALK Instructors will teach and supervise a series of Bike Camps throughout the summer.
The classes in both sections of the program are in depth and teach kids how to bicycle safely on city streets.
- Work in teams to teach the Walking Wisdom and Bike Driver’s Ed curriculums in schools and lead on-street neighborhood rides and walks
- Distribute free bicycles to children who successfully complete the program
- Work locations will be scheduled throughout Milwaukee and it will be the responsibility of the Bicycle Education Assistant to arrive at all assigned locations prior to the start time
- Lead bicycle rides with kids throughout the City of Milwaukee
- Maintaining fleet bicycles and assuring that all teaching aids and materials are available
- Assess school area for impediments to walking and biking to school
- Encourage community involvement in Safe Routes to Schools and present the program at community meetings
- Work with schools on encouragement events to get more kids walking and biking
- Serve as a role model to youth
- Office work as necessary
- Experience teaching/working with children
- Excellent speaking, writing, and presentation skills
- Value working with diverse people and team teaching
- Enjoy bicycling and be willing to bike to work (we practice what we teach!)
- Must pass background check
- Love for bicycling and walking
- Experience with hands-on education
- Bicycle mechanic skills
- 20-35 hrs/wk from April 20th thru October with the possibility of rehire for the next year. Hours will generally be scheduled between 9am and 6pm on weekdays.
Applications must be received by March 6th, 2009. The Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin (BFW) is an equal opportunity employer and a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization whose mission is "To make Wisconsin a better place to bicycle!". We are a growing non-profit that is growing to get more people biking.
For more information on the program, visit www.bfw.org.
TO APPLY: MAIL OR EMAIL RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: Jacob Newborn, Project Coordinator Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin 1845 N Farwell, Suite 100 Milwaukee, WI 53202 email@example.com,
Questions? Call 414-271-9685 or visit www.bfw.org