Monday, September 11, 2006

Practice Night - Wednesday September 13.

Start: 5:00 p.m. -- End: Twilight

Cost: $4 (seasonal discount) first family member ... $3 for additional family members.

(Jay Labecki stretches a manual over the second straight dubs.)

Track Update:
A bunch of stuff has been cooking over the last couple weeks and although it's been largely unreported on the website (my fault, ugh) there is a major track change that will be happening very soon. All I can announce at the moment is that the change involves Mike and I digging up some stuff trackside this weekend, and a merry band of Milwaukee BMX Gypsies (John M., Fred, Todd, and Dana among others) heading to Ohio with a couple of large vehicles, a big old trailer, a couple of race bikes, tanks full of gas, plenty of gatorade and a mission to return with something our track really needs (hint, hint).

With the change will come a pretty big switcharoo on the practice schedule. After this weekend, when a bunch of work is going to go down, we are considering switching practices to Saturday afternoons so that ya'll can have more time to enjoy the track. Current thinking would open practice from noon until around 4. It would be terrific to get some feedback from you guys on the subject. You can reply on the site ... or, chat with myself or John Wednesday evening.

Questions? Post 'em up !!!

Kevin O'

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

will you be running any point races this year?

Anonymous said...

hello,
i have just bought myself an mtb (Specialized p.2), before that i was riding a bmx and i finally decided to invest some money and switch to mtb. it's a dirt jumping bike, sort of a hybrid between bmx and mtb (the frame geometry is almost like a bmx one). I really would like to learn dirt jumping and i'm wondering if your course is open for public access?
i've stopped today by Crystal Ridge but i couldn't find any brochures or additional info about your club there.
also, i would appreciate if you know about any dirt jumping spots in the milwaukee area.
thanks,
andrei

bmxmtbfam said...

You can count on the two of us for saturday practices. I know others with young kids were talking last wednesday about weekends as well. Good luck with the hint, hint, I mean gate.

Kevin O' said...

Yo, so many readers, so much ground to cover, so little time ... sure is lucky for me it's raining and crummy outside.

1. points races ... well, that's a really good question. I'm sure there's some energy for it ... I'm not sure we're going to have time to pull it off. Best I can do at this point is a big happy maybe.

2. Andrei ... cool bike. As for hitting up the BMX track ... we'd be grateful if you sign up for an ABA membership and save it for practice nights. It's all about insurance, when we have practice, the ABA policy goes into effect. To put it simply, the problem is, if somebody does ball it up, and names the leaseholder or county in any type of suit, it's a safe bet that bulldozers are out eliminating the hundreds of hours of backbreaking labor put out by a bunch of really cool volunteers. Since I know you don't want to be the guy who undoes all of that hard work, I do look forward to seeing you at one of our upcoming practices. I'm Kevin ... with short gray hair, and pretty slow on a bike.

As for jumping spots, man, I can think of only the small and sketchy jumps that are located along the mountain bike trail near Hoyt Park. I've heard of some other stuff ... mostly, I think it's legend.

3. Ken, you never heard me say that ... and I didn't even write it. But, I didn't say you were wrong either.

Hope this helps, fellas. See ya at the track.

Kevin O'

tosacrosser said...

Great idea for the Saturday afternoon practices. We'll take all that we can get before indoor starts at Elkhorn since the Rockford and Janesville/Beloit racers have been at it all summer.

Thanks to all who have had worked so hard to turn this track into a reality.

Kevin O' said...

Tosa-x-r

First of all ... let me tell you that I'm stoked to hear that you are enjoying the track. I looked at some of the photos on your blog and they are definitely good stuff.

Second, reading that you are getting jazzed about Elkhorn tells me that we absolutely went the right direction with taking the track ABA. Each sanction has its pros and cons, one of the biggies that kept me lobbying for ABA was Walworth BMX. It's great that we can race year round if we choose on an ABA membership.

So, on kind of a crummy looking day on which we had to cancel practice ... your note is about as uplifting as a boat ride through a semi at a national. Good stuff.

Kevin O'