Tuesday, August 22, 2006

BMX in Milwaukee is getting better ... but, we've still got a ways to go.

Yeah, so maybe the world is larger than our little Bicycle Motocross track, we all get that (although, with the amount of time that we've spent with the venture, there are, no doubt, some of our family members that would make the case that some of us seem to think that out little BMX track is at the center of the universe). Anyway, Bicycle Motocross is surely more than just about racing. So I was particularly interested to find this article about a public use skate / bicycle park being planned for Hart Park in Wauwatosa. This thing may be a few years off, but, with strength in numbers, it's absolutely cool to see the cooperation between skaters and bikers in trying to pull this thing together. I have contacted one of the members of Tosa Skateboarders United to lend our support to their cause. And, because ... I had another big old idea.

The Sandlot
Lately, I've been thinking a lot about Bicycle Motocross and its major rise and fall in the number of active participants. I recall when I was a kid that there were several riding areas I could hit on any given day. Some were "sandlot" type open lot tracks, others big huck jumps and some were street riding obstacles -- in school yards, at churches, shopping facilities and parking lots. The street stuff really remains the same today. But, I can't think of a single "sandlot" type track in the Milwaukee area.

I quizzed my friend, Chris Reimer, who many of you know from Ware's Cyclery, if he had heard of anything good in this area. Chris could think of nothing ... zip, zero, nadda. No doubt ... this explains why we've released such a powder keg of pent up Bicycle Motocross energy with the Crystal Ridge track.

The practice track that Bryan Dickerson built in Hartford with the support of the Hartford Parks department is definitely the closest to what I'm thinking about. It's the type of place that kids can hit at pretty much whenever they are moved to do so. If there is more than one kid there ... it's probably a safe bet, that just like when I rode those spots with my little buddies 25 years ago, an informal race is going to break out. How many of us followed the same path into racing? Kill it on the "sand lot" track until we discover a kid with a "real" racing BMX bike. Maybe meet that kid and learn about the "real" racing that goes on at the "real" track he goes to every weekend. Maybe that kid's got a mom or dad who realizes that getting new kids into the sport is what will help it grow. Mr. Sandlot upstart hitches a ride out to the race track and probably gets really hooked ... really quickly. Luckily for him ... he's got some speed and more than a few skills in his pocket from his riding at the sand lot track.

We need more practice tracks
So many people associated with bicycle motocross automatically jump to the conclusion that we need more tracks. I think a legitimate argument can be made that, for the moment, at least, there are already enough. There is almost constant discussion of low moto counts around the nation. What we could really use, eh, is more riders. In the 80's ... formal race tracks popped up everywhere. There were probably more than a dozen tracks in Wisconsin in the hay-days of BMX. But, as more tracks popped up ... the informal riding areas went away. When the first crop of racers got old enough to get their licenses and moved on to other activities (sure do wish I had just stayed on the bike!), the fresh crop of "sandlot" kids wasn't there to replace them.

Take a good look at this kid. He's either 7 or 8 ... and won the time trial at Hartford recently for his age group. The bike is obviously too big for him, and far too heavy ... but, dang if he doesn't look like a very young Stu Thomsen in this shot. Since he's got a place to ride, and some ability, I fully expect that a sharp eyed reader (with a really good memory ... obviously not me) may be able to pick him out at the races in Milwaukee someday.



Without the practice track, or the time trial, is this same kid even interested in riding? Would he ever have a chance of becoming a racer at our track if Bryan not made the effort to get the Hartford track started? Moreover, would this young guy, or his parents, have been able to muster the courage to take him straight to Rockford, or Fond du Lac, or Oshkosh, and throw down $45 for a membership for him to be able to "compete against" (read, get smoked by) experienced kids who have had plenty of track time?

Bryan told me that the track, which he and Todd Zimmerman are primarly responsible for constructing, likely cost the city much less than a thousand dollars. In 2006 dollars, a municipality can't even purchase a decent swingset for that kind of money. This should be a no brainer. A practice track is a minimal impact proposition with regard to the environment and economics. However, the social impact is substantial.

So, I've contacted Tosa Skateboarders United and I'm planning to start attending the Wauwatosa park commission meetings ... wish me luck ... I'm certainly late to the dance with my request ... but, I'm motivated and willing to give it a shot.

More Thanks

Boy, in all the excitment of thanking the riders, the politicians, the volunteers, et al, I sorta forgot to thank one of the major supporters of the day. Sun-Ringle threw a bunch of swag our way and didn't even require the "persuasion" of Fred Yanke's alter ego, Hackett. Props to the Sun-Ringle crew for the help the support provided ... their product is some of the best on the market. Now, I know ... they gave us stuff ... so, of course I'd endorse the goods. Here's the thing ... I've been buying and running Ringle stuff on my bike, paying retail for years. The strongest endorsement for any part in Bicycle Motocross comes from those who pay retail for it. I run Sun Rhyno Lite rims and Ringle Zu Zu platform pedals.

Kevin O'

3 comments:

The Shed Master said...

Thanks for the shout-out for Sun-Ringle'. We're planning to keep supporting the track and the folks that make it happen.

We're also working on our own "practice" track here at the Sun World Headquarters. Anyone got a bobcat we can borrow?

tosacrosser said...

Don't forget the 'sandlot' track in the Tosa Hoyt woods. I think it's more of a jumping track but there's always kids there, and it is consistently being worked on.

Kevin O' said...

Russ, you got it brother. What you need for your practice facility is a skid loader. I'm thinkin' a bobcat would only be choice if you had a whole lotta' mouse problems at the Sun World Headquarters.

'crosser ... yeah, "Baja" is pretty much legendary and I had it in the back of my mind as I wrote the column. It just seems to me that what's there would just be so much better if it were out in the open ... and kids parents could keep an eye out for what's going on. I know I'd be unwilling to let Dane (the six-year-old grom in my house) head back there without me along ... there's broken glass, and it's so off the beaten path that if he bailed, it might be hours before somebody came through to help. Hartford is the model ... I'm sure we can get others.

Kevin O'