Thursday, July 27, 2006

Rain, Rain -- Enough Already !!!

Man, normally, I'm hoping for just a teensy bit of rain at this time of year to keep my lawn from going "seasonal" brown and gold. My neighbors are really less than stoked on the patch of clover and mustard where grass used to be. But, hey brother ... it's sustainable ... and even sorta pretty when it hasn't been cut for a couple of days and the stuff starts to flower.

But I digress.

The rain is beginning to drive me a little nutty ... but, despite ma nature's best efforts to wreck shop, our little track is definitely holding its own.

Dane (soon to be six novice) and I did a little rake and ride of our own last night and yee-haw ... it was probably easily the most fun I've had on track since I was a teen myself. Not that I need to elaborate on my pitiful riding ... but, the track is already beginning to flow really well. And, the first turn definitely has a "rail" line up top. Good stuff.

The team is still shooting for a full Saturday work day ... hit us up anytime between 8 and 4 ... and, yeah ... I finally pulled my head out of my arse and put some directions up for you out of the area types. If you want to work ... bring a lawn or thatching rake ... those seem to work the best for the hand work we still need to do. John and Fred met trackside tonight, and yeah, I was supposed to be there, but me being behind on yet another proposal that's heading out the door tomorrow meant tonight was a DNF for me. Between the two of them and Mike ... they'll have plenty for the rest of us to do on Saturday.

Suddently getting a fair amount of interest around these parts ... which is just dang cool. We really appreciate all your support.

C-Ya Saturday.

Kevin O'

3 comments:

bmxmtbfam said...

Is the new track open for riding. My son is 6 and he is going to start racing this fall it would be great for him to ride with a much smalled crowd the first couple of times.

bmxmtbfam said...

I was wondering if the track is open for practice. it si really so my 6 year old can learn to race this fall.

Kenny

Kevin O' said...

Ken,

We received word from Milwaukee County that the track will be considered a "closed" track.

It would take a really long explaination to give you all the background that went into that situation, but, the long and the short of it is that, for liability purposes, we will only have the track open to ride during ABA sanctioned events and while the ABA insurance policy is in effect.

But, fear not, my friend. We're planning to run a whole bunch of "new rider clinics" for newbies, just like your son, to come out and learn about BMX from some of the top riders in the area. We'll walk them through the signup process, make sure they understand how to read a motoboard, give them some pointers on when to get themselves into staging ... and, then there's the on track stuff. We'll inform them about safety gear, and inspect their bikes. Finally, they'll learn about how the gate operates and sounds as well as have plenty of time to ride the track with some basic instruction on how to get over the obstacles.

Cooincidentally, my son, Dane is exactly the same age as yours ... so I know how you are feeling. If your son is interested, like mine, in learning how to race ... the new rider clinic is taylor made for him.

The ABA will allow your son to participate, under their insurance policy, on a one-time, new rider basis. Cost of the ond day ABA membership ... FREE !!!

After that, his full membership will be $45 / annual. You can see the list of area ABA tracks in the "other cool places to visit" ... and, there are four others within 90 minutes of Milwaukee.

We're figuring on running several of these "New Rider Clinics" this fall.

Additionally, in 2007, we'll have a full racing and practice schedule. We'll likely have the track open one or two nights a week where kids can come, and, for some small fee to help cover the cost of the ABA insurance policy (think between $2 and $5) we will run the gate for a couple hours of practice.

Kenny, I hope this helps ... and, we definitely look forward to seeing you and your son at the track.

Kevin O'